Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Women's Brains

After staying at work until 5 to prepare my classroom for tomorrow's Back to School Night, I ran to Costco to buy sodas for our Speech & Debate pizza/soda sales, at which point I realized that I don't have a big ice chest. So, I called Bernard to ask him if he had one he could bring. The conversation cracked me up, and I have to share.

As preparation for tomorrow's Bell Jar presentation in our AP class, I have the class reading an article by Stephen Jay Gould about the history of how science has used biological discussions of the female brain to justify misogyny in the past.

Ring...

Bernard: Yes?

Me: How's it going?

B: Good, I'm just reading this article about women's brains that you assigned.

Me: Oh, yeah? Good. Whaddya think?

B: [Like a toddler repeating something an adult has said, as if he knows he's going to make other adults mad if he says it himself] Women's brains are smaller than men's.

Me: Bernard!!

B: Hey, don't get mad at me. That's what YOUR article says.

I had a trio of students from last year helping me in my classroom until I left so late tonight. I love these kids so much.

No comments: