I also figure that this is a good time to document my life again because I’ve finally decided to stop running away from what Irish poet Seamus Heaney masterfully designates “the givens” of my life. After running away to graduate school in Virginia after Chris’s death five years ago and staying three years to teach at a Jewish private school in the D.C. area as news of Jonny’s schizophrenic episodes floated to me across the continent, I’ve decided to move back home for a year while I get certified to teach in public schools back on the left coast. Today was my third day of teaching as a long-term English 9 sub at the place to which I swore I’d never return on my graduation day in 1997: my own high school. The ironies are abundant: I walk past my old hangout every day and chuckle to myself as I note that it is still occupied by the same old crowd of oddball outcasts; I am teaching the youngest brother of my arch nemesis and probably the only “enemy” I’ve ever felt I had, for that matter...the list goes on and on...
I’ve been feeling inordinately lonely the past few days. I tried to strike out in search of people during my 3rd period prep the other day, but no luck—everyone is hiding in their classrooms or teaching, I guess. It’s kind of depressing. I’m sure most of my melancholy was prompted by reconnecting with Meg, who is feeling the same loneliness in her new office job at a lobbying firm back in D.C. We both miss the office banter incredibly. I keep thinking that it’s probably more healthy not to be so wrapped up in and distracted by office social interaction, but it only really is if I have a social life outside of work, which I don’t.
I am enjoying the student population, though. They aren't as enthusiastic about learning as the kids at my last school were, but they aren't completely uninterested, either; refreshingly diverse; and, most important, grateful for my expertise (which was taken for granted and even second-guessed pretty regularly at the last school where I taught). I think the area has grown a lot since I was a student at the school myself, which is part of the reason why it’s not as bad as I remember, but I also think I probably overdramatized my memory of high school. That’s what teenagers do to everything, after all.
No comments:
Post a Comment