Thursday, October 20, 2005

The Personal IS Political...

I'm new to the blogger experience, but I'm starting to feel like I've been a little self-consumed in my posts lately. It seems like I should be saying something that has relevance beyond the walls of my cramped living quarters, which I am currently sharing with, alas, my parents. The thing is, though, I can see how all of my frustrations are either caused by or are intensified by the horrible things that my president is doing to my country, in the present and the future. As I tried to explain what had me feeling so down to my friend yesterday, one of the first things that came out of my mouth was about how I don't even have money to pay for gas to get me to the classes that I am taking for Bushie baby's new No Child Left Behind certification policy. And as soon as I said it, I had to add, "But it's not that I wish those gas prices were lower. We are definitely rightfully paying for all of the shit we've been dishing out." And I know that is true, even though I never supported the man or his policies.

How is it that a 26 year-old with a Master's degree from a prestigious university has been forced to move home with her parents, because she couldn't make it on a full-time teaching salary while living in a 500 square-foot studio apartment in our nation's capitol? I can't even imagine how people are making it who haven't had the privileges that I got only by luck. How desperate do things have to get before our anger pushes us to rise up and take back our country?

No comments: